On July 21, 2022, the Ontario Government announced that the Worker Income Protection Benefit program will be extended to March 31, 2023. Eligible workers are entitled three (3) paid sick days up to $200/day. The program was set to expire on July 31, 2022. Employers may seek reimbursement of the paid leave through the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board.
We have previously reported on the circumstances that will give rise to the paid infectious disease leave, but as a refresher, eligibility arises in the following circumstances:
- going for a COVID-19 test;
- staying home awaiting results of a COVID-19 test;
- being sick with COVID-19;
- getting medical treatment for mental health reasons related to COVID-19;
- going to get vaccinated;
- having been advised to self-isolate by any employer, medical professional, or other specified authority; and
- providing care or support for children and certain relatives when they are home sick with COVID-19, or related symptoms.